Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Screenplay

So the story begins when I started my job at Columbia College Chicago. I was working downtown and needed to take public transportation to work every day. Though I have tons of music on my iPod, I was getting bored and had an idea to start downloading the podcasts. After doing a search for "television", I found Pilar Alessandra's "On The Page" podcast.

At first, I just downloaded the episodes that featured guests that we television writers and executives. I found the podcast relevant, informative and entertaining so I downloaded more. Through the podcast, I learned that the lines between television and film writing are quite blurred. She had guests that were television and screenwriters who were writing for the Hallmark Channel, ABC Family and Disney.

After listening to these podcasts, I was inspired. I didn't have an idea for a screenplay, but I decided I would write one. Over time, an idea came to me. One day, I sat down and wrote it. I wrote an entire screenplay in one day. But I didn't know what to do with it. I decided to register for a screenwriting class at Columbia, since I have such a handy dandy discount.

I wanted to use the screenplay I had already written, but the teacher said we needed to start with a brand new idea. My first assignment was to write six loglines for a script I might like to write and that sparked a brand new idea. This screenplay was much more difficult for me to write and ended up taking me the entire semester, as opposed to one day.

Close to the end of completion of my screenplay, I had the opportunity to take a rewriting workshop, held at Columbia, by the one and only, Pilar Alessandra. I was so excited to meet her. The workshop was super helpful and I was lucky enough to horn in on her plans to meet some other people at a bar. While talking about my screenplay idea, she suggested that I go the Pitchfest this summer because my idea was so timely.

So here I am, getting ready for the Pitchfest in three weeks. I have a lot of other writing projects to complete before the end of the month that interfere with my preparation process. I'll be ready to share more about those in my next post. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment