Wednesday, October 26, 2011

A Potential Crack in the Screen

I've been quiet for awhile because my last internship was top secret and I thought it was best to minimize content on the internet about it.  Therefore, that means that my internship, that was supposed to last three months, only lasted one.  It wasn't that I couldn't hang, and I wasn't fired.  A month into the internship, we had the "internship talk".  Based on a assessment, we realized that it was not in our best interest to stay.

I learned a valuable lesson from the internship...I am not interested in talent management.  If I dip my toe into management, it would have to be literary management.  I am far better suited and interested in working with writers, as opposed to actors.  I appreciate the lesson, it wasn't something I knew before I got into it.

However, if one read my bio, it can be clearly seen that I am interested in development, and that has not changed.  An interest in management stemmed from the fact that everyone recommended that if I would like to get into development, a management company or an agency was the best place to start.  I may have mentioned this in an earlier post, but several months ago, I made an appointment to speak with a partner at a major management company in Beverly Hills.

I had the appointment yesterday, and it went far better than I expected.  He expressed a willingness to help me and asked me to send my resume this morning.  He is forwarding my resume on, and for the first time since I have arrived in LA, I have a lead on an opportunity to actually speak to someone who works in television development.

It has taken me six months to meet someone who can and will connect me with someone who presently works in the field that I moved here to break into.  This is by no means a complaint, simply a statement that contributes to the proof of how difficult it is to break into the industry.  If I thought it would be easy, I wouldn't have started a blog to document this process.  Hopefully, this meeting will lead to a crack in breaking through the small screen.  Thank you all for your support.

1 comment:

  1. Would you be so kind as to explain to us laymen what "talent development" entails? How would you developed actors had you decided to stay on in that role?

    --Johnny Trivedi

    ReplyDelete