Friday, June 3, 2011

Timing is Everything

This time last year was the start of it all.  I went to the Great American Pitchfest to pitch a screenplay and get a feel for the business.  I had so much fun and had such great feedback that I didn't want to fly home.  This time last year, I decided that I needed to get to LA asap.

I didn't expect an engagement and a wedding when I made this decision, but I didn't let our happy event slow me down.  I have questioned whether I should have made such a huge step two weeks after our wedding and whether the date of the move was purely motivated by my desire to live here before I turned 30.

Though that was my primary motivation, I am happy I made the decision the way I did.  The Great American Pitchfest is this weekend, and this year, I am working as a volunteer.  I roped the wife until volunteering with me.  Not only is it a ton of fun and an opportunity for us to hang out with some new people, but I will get to pitch at the conference for free.

This year, I am way more comfortable.  I know my way around the area. the excitement about just being here has faded to being normal life, and I am much better at pitching.  On top of that, my experience as an intern makes me feel like I have a better sense of the industry and I will be better prepared when I meet executives.

Last year, I came across a job opportunity.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this year brings the same.

1 comment: